Fitness Facilities Help Your Community Stand Out From The Rest
June 23, 2016
How to Pick the Right Equipment for Your Gym
November 5, 2018
By now, you’ve figured out the location for your gym and have either signed the lease for the building or bought the space. These tips will help you figure out the kinds of equipment you should choose to outfit your new facility.
Determine Space Limitations
How much space do you have for your gym’s equipment?
When starting a gym, remember that a significant amount of space will be taken up by non-equipment areas, including lobbies, offices, bathrooms, utility rooms, and other extra features you may choose to install. If you’re a franchisee, note that your franchiser has set up standards you must follow for how much space certain features are designated.
The IHRSA Health Club Equipment Benchmarking Report notes that fitness-only gyms tend to allocate around 60% of their gym space to strength and cardio equipment, with the remaining 40% being used for lockers, personal training areas, food and beverages, and other features.
Choose Your Equipment Mix
Once you know how much room your gym has for fitness equipment, you need to consider what kinds of equipment you are looking to provide in your gym. IHRSA research shows that, of the total possible space for gym equipment in fitness-only gyms, the following amounts of space tend to be split up between strength, cardio, and group exercise: 47% strength equipment, 33% cardio machines, and 20% group exercise.
If you’re franchising, it’s likely that your gym company will give you specific rules on how much room you need to devote to cardio machines, strength training equipment (including both free weights and machines), and functional training or group exercise.
Visualize Your Gym Space
To get an idea of the kinds of equipment you can fill your space with, we can help design the layout of your gym. Then we can bring that plan to life through 3D renderings to allow you to easily visualize the space. You can also check out our blog on improving the layout of your fitness center.
Determine Financing or Leasing
When it comes to the financial side of things, each gym has its unique needs. Given your situation, is it better for you to buy your gym’s fitness equipment, or lease it? Leasing equipment offers you the chance to change your fitness equipment every few years, keeping your gym up-to-date with the latest machines on the market. Buying equipment means it’s yours, turning it into an asset that you can later sell if you decide. Also, if you decide to buy equipment for your gym, you should figure out whether it’d be better for you to purchase new or used equipment.
There are pros and cons to each option. Speaking with a sales representative and tax adviser will offer you insight on which option may be better for you.
Consider Maintenance and Warranty
If you’re investing large amounts of money in your gym equipment, you want it to be able to withstand the tests of time and consistent usage.
Alongside deciding whether you should buy or lease equipment, inquire about the maintenance involved and warranties included. Most gym equipment manufacturers offer warranties that cover service technicians and parts replacements.
Integrity Fitness can cover all your gym needs from concept to completion, helping you every step of the way. From designing the layout of your gym, picking the equipment, delivering it, installing it, and maintaining it. We can be lifetime partners who will always put your gyms needs first, not the suppliers.