I recently read an interesting article, published by IHRSA on the topic of Fitness Industry Trends around the globe.
The key findings from the report include:
● Personal training has the highest adoption rate of any program or service in the fitness industry.
● Traditional functional fitness equipment and accessories (medicine balls, BOSU, stability balls) and flexibility/mobility equipment (foam rollers, stretch trainers and myofascial release devices) proved to be today’s hottest equipment.
● Boot-camp training, small-group training, HIIT group exercise classes and functional resistance training have all achieved a high level of adoption and continue to show above average growth.
● Social media is the only well-adopted technology trend. The industry has yet to fully embrace technology as a means to enhance the member/client experience and improve productivity and efficiency. Technology opportunities such as online pricing transparency, online registration and reservations for programs, selling memberships online, virtual training and club mobile applications all have opportunity to gain significantly greater adoption with the industry.
● Senior fitness programs are among the top ten most frequently adopted industry trends.
● Treadmills and elliptical trainers have experienced resurgence in growth in the past two years.